VirLinda Stanton, is “Tyler’s Golden Rose”
From Shady Grove to “The Color Purple,” The White House and Beyond
SAG-AFTRA Actress/ Entertainer/ Speaker/ Bestselling Author/ National Gospel Recording Artist/ Activist/ Host/ HIV-AIDS Advocate/ Mentor/ Entrepreneur/ Influencer/ Artist Development – Management & Discovery Coach
She is among the most powerful voices to ever command an audience. Relatives and others knew she was a daughter of destiny and divine direction. They just didn’t realize the many directions divinity would lead her. Even as a young child, VirLinda often dreamt of being in the spotlight. Her voice and amazing ability to make songs and verses her own, became how the phenomenal “Triple Threat”, has been labeled as, “Tyler’s Golden Rose”.
Her talents first developed while singing in her grandmother’s church at the age of 9. VirLinda eagerly reflects on her roots, seeing where the foundation of her stellar career began. She grew up in the rural Shady Grove community, right outside the city of Tyler, the home of the aforementioned Mr. Earl Campbell, the former NFL superstar and Heisman Trophy winner; and also the home of former “It’s Showtime at the Apollo” co-host Kiki Shepard.
VirLinda’s stellar career began with her performance of “The Color Purple National Broadway Tour” in 2009. It was this performance that set VirLinda on a whirlwind of accomplishments and accolades in music, theatre, film, television, Disney and Broadway!
Not to be outdone by any means, VirLinda’s hometown and others have acknowledged Ms. Stanton’s talents, gifts and giving back with accolades that most can only dream of. VirLinda received several Accolades from the “Rose City Capital”.
- the “Key to The City of Tyler”,
- a Street renamed in her honor CR 310 renamed (VirLinda Ln. E. & W.) Tyler, Tx.
- having 2 days proclaimed after her by receiving
- a “Resolution” that declared February 3rd, (VirLinda Stanton Day) from Tyler Smith County Commissioners Court and also
- a “Proclamation” which proclaimed February 16th, (VirLinda Stanton Day) from Mayor Barbara Bass and the City of Tyler.
- Performing at “The White House”before President Barack Obama – all within one year – what more homage can become bestowed on this proud East Texas gal?
- VirLinda currently is an “Advisory Board Member” with the (Texas African American Museum) in Tyler, TX and also is
- a current “Board Member” with the (Ryan White Planning Council Committee) in Dallas County.
Virlinda’s list of 5-star performances is nearly countless. She has a knack of excelling in everything she’s encountered, leaving her leaving her voiceprints, fingerprints and footprints all over the country and parts of the world to be vividly remembered. Her performances include:
- “Gallows Road”, starring with marquee names like Kevin Sorbo, Ernie Hudson and Grover Coulson
- “Christmas On My Block”, written and directed by DeMarcus Bailey
- Role on ABC Sitcom “Fresh Off The Boat”,
- Role on CBS Pilot “Under One Roof” featuring James Earl Jones
- Featured Soloist in the KTXA 21 – 36th Annual (2x) EMMY AWARD WINNING “Black Music and The Civil Rights Movement Concert” Saluting the Late Queen of Soul ARETHA FRANKLIN, with The Black Academy of Arts and Letters.
- Soloist in the KTXA 21 – 39th Annual (4x) EMMY AWARD WINNING Civil Rights Concert featuring Kim Burrell with The Black Academy of Arts & Letters.
- Several appearances on TBN’s “Praise The Lord”
- Performed with George Clinton & All Funk Radio Show Band on KDFW-TV’s “Good Day”
- Sang her version of the “National Anthem’s Star-Spangles Banner” at NFL, NBA, WNBA, MLB and numerous other events.
Broadway, Stage and Musical Credits
- Performing in Oprah Winfrey’s Production of “The Color Purple National Broadway Tour”, portraying Church Lady Darlene and Shug Avery (us)
- Lead a 2-hour Performance at the “The White House” for President Barak Obama’s Christmas Open House program on December 23, 2011.
- Executive Producer of her 1st Gospel CD “The Best Is Yet To Come” featuring songs from “The Color Purple”.
- Performing in Disney’s “Lion King”, as Rafikki and Nala,
- Disney’s “Hercules the Musical” as Clio,
- Disney’s “Tarzan” as Vocalist, “Toy Story” as a Dancer and Vocalist,
- Disney’s “Golden Mickey’s” as Rona Rivers (Host, Gossip Columnist & Vocalist)
- Featured in “Dancing With The Stars of Tyler” as Ballroom Dancer and Vocalist
- Performing in “Blues in the Night” with Roz Ryan (“Amen”) and singer Freda Payne (“Band of Gold”)
- Performed in the “Rosa Parks Day Event” as Rosa Parks, featured Speaker & Soloist in Tyler, Tx
- Performed in “A Cry for Help – The Underground Railroad” as Harriet Tubman
- Performing as a guest Soloist and Praise Dancer at the “International Women’s Conference” in Johannesburg, South Africa
- Performed in “The Color Purple National Tour” as Shug and Church Soloist with Jennifer Holiday
- Performed in “Choices the Play” at The Potters House as Momma T. written & produced by Sarah Jakes with T.D. Jakes Ministries
- Performed in “Watch Night the Play” with Irma P. Hall and Greg Ellis former Dallas Cowboys, Writer, Director and Executive Producer of “Carter High the Movie”.
- Featured as “Ma Rainey” in the “Gut Bucket Gospel Stage Play” with Earnest Pugh, written and directed by Curtis King, Executive Director and Founder of The Black Academy of Arts and Letters.
- Performed in “Black Nativity” as Mary and featured Dancer
- “Miracles From Heaven Christmas Musical” as Grandma, featuring Bishop T. D. Jakes, Chrisette Michele, withD. Jakes Ministries
- Lead in “Juneteenth The Stage Play” written & directed by Greg Ellis, former Dallas Cowboys
- “Somebody’s Gotta Go Gospel Play” Co-Star Actress & Singer with Countess Vaughn & Carolyn Traylor; E.K. Bonner & DP Production
- “Dream Girls” as Effie with the Tyler Civic Theater
- “Over Forty Musical” as Annie Ruth with the Jubilee Theater
- “31st Charlie Christian Internat’l Festival” featured Artist with the Blac Liberated Arts Center in Oklahoma
- “UNCF Masked Ball” (2yrs) as Celebrity Guest Singer – UNCF Dallas
- “National Black Caucus Conference” Sung National Anthem & Black Nat’l Anthem – Enigma LLC
- “Cheryl Smith Celebrity Bowl-a-Thon” as Celebrity Captain & Soloist featuring Dick Gregory; Don’t Believe The Hype Foundation
- “Old School Jazz Party w/Dick Gregory” Featured Jazz Vocalist w/Cassandra Robertson and Round the Clock Entertainment
- Opening for iconic artists and personalities such as (The Whispers, The Temptations, George Clinton, The Bar-Kays, Dottie Peoples, Hezekiah Walker) and a host of others.
- Former NFL and NBA Cheerleader
- Executive Producer of her first Gospel EP “The Best Is Yet To Come”
- “Kings & Kingdoms” recording with Edwin Hawkins as Background Vocalist
- “Black Nativity” CD recording with the Total Experience Gospel Choir produced by Patrinell Wright
- “Solid Rock” recording with the Washington State Mass Choir as Background Vocalist
- “Fred Hammond” recording projects as Background Vocalist
- “Above It All” and “Passionate Praise” recordings as Lead Vocalist with Christian Faith Center Seattle
- “He Will Bring You Out” recording Vocalist with the Northwest Connection Choir
- “LaShun Pace” recording as Background Vocalist with the Washington State Mass Choir
- Bishop T.D. Jakes Mega-Fest 17 “Know your Status HIV” Panel Speaker & Soloist Chris Howell
- Legacy Womens HIV/AIDS Conference Guest Speaker/Soloist/Team Leader; Grace Project Dallas
- Leadership Forum-Iota Phi Lambda Panel Speaker on “Branding” – Iota Phi Lambda Sorority, Inc.
- Robert E Lee High School (TISD) Motivational Speaker, Tyler Independent School District
- Dogan Middle School (TISD) Speaker/Singer, Tyler Independent School District
- Austin Elementary (TISD) Speaker/Singer, Tyler Independent School District
- Ramey Elementary (TISD) Speaker/Singer, Tyler Independent School District
Now solidified as an East Texas entertainment starlet, VirLinda took her career to even greater heights. In early July 2012, she recorded and was Executive Producer of her first Gospel CD “The Best Is Yet to Come” featuring songs from “The Color Purple Broadway Musical”.
Not to allow anything to stop her momentum or her gifts to share with the world, in 2021, VirLinda is the founder of VirLinda Stanton Enterprises, LLC and also embarked on her journey as a published and award-winning Author. Her first book Anthology release is titled, “Souled Out Vol. 2″ which is a Bestseller on AMAZON in 3 categories! She Co-Authored with a Multi-Award Winning Author Cheryl Polote-Williamson. This book is full of Inspiration and Motivation. “BEING KEPT BY FAITH” Beating the Odds! Overcoming your storms through Radical Faith and Prayer. VirLinda shares how she overcame her storms of Anxiety, Depression, Rape, Domestic Violence abuse, Molestation and HIV/AIDS diagnosis. Join VirLinda on her “Journey of Healing”!
A lot of people said, “you can’t do this and you can’t do that”. I took all of those cant’s and made it “I CAN”, said VirLinda. “I am a strong believer; I never used the word can’t growing up”. “Can’t” is not in my vocabulary. The word says, life and death is in the power of the tongue. So, whatever you ask you shall receive. Ask and it shall be given.
VirLinda directs her energy to causes, having keynoted “The Legacy Grace Conference for Women Living with HIV/AIDS.”
With her stellar and impressive resume, it’s no surprise that some of the best in the business have made these statements regarding VirLinda.
VirLinda Stanton is one of the most dynamic and impactful entertainers I’ve ever had the privilege to work with. Upon learning more about VirLinda, as a performer and as a person, it is obvious that something is really special about this individual. Not only does she prove herself as a tremendous vocalist, but she also sets a mark for greatness that motivates everyone around her to achieve as well. My experiences over the last 30 years in this business have brought me across only a handful of performers that resonate in my mind as truly special, and VirLinda is one of them. She is passionate about what she does. She is committed to perfection. She is the type of person whose personality drives the energy in any room and often times is infectious at the least. That dynamic energy is the essence of almost every successful LIVE production, and VirLinda has been given that gift to share around the world. There is no doubt in my mind that her amazing voice as well as her abilities as an actress and dancer will propel her to great success in the years to come. Any production in need of an African American entertainer, one who will captivate and inspire both the audience as well as those onstage, will reap outstanding rewards for many years to come by casting Ms. Stanton. It has been a pleasure to work with VirLinda over the last two years, and I look forward to many more wonderful opportunities in the very near future said, Ed Whitlow Show Director & Theatrical Consultant (Disney Cruise Line).
WOW! VirLinda “She was hot, hot, hot” said Frank Stegall of WOW Entertainment, referring to her performance in the (Motown-style Revue-It’s Alright) at Six Flags Over Texas! VirLinda is a great performer & true talent. She sings like an angel; has moves to make the Supremes jealous and is the most Energetic, Dedicated stage performer that a producer could hope to find!
From Company Manager of the “The Color Purple” National Broadway Tour, Arthur Callahan. VirLinda Stanton played the roles of Church Lady Darlene & Shug’s (us). Stanton’s sparkling soprano voice and effervescent personality are quite a treat to have on tour. Stanton was also never shy to participate in Press around the country, sharing her voice, talking about her journey to The Color Purple, and sharing her life’s testimony. Listening to Stanton sing or speak exhibited the blessed life she has worked for. The time I spent with VirLinda showed this was just a glimpse at what she has to share with the world.
With VirLinda in the house, Somebody’s Gotta Rise!”